Accreditation Process for Specialty Pharmacy
The accreditation process is composed of several components:
- Submission of documents
- On-site survey
- Determination of accreditation status
What are the steps to becoming accredited?
- Submit the application and supplemental documentation. Supplemental documentation includes business and ownership information, personnel and facility licensure.
- Submit payment
2. Document Assessment
- After your application and supplemental documentation have been processed, you will receive the Document Checklist.
- The Document Assessment Checklist is a tool provided for self-reporting policies, procedures demonstrating compliance with the standards. This tool will assist you in collecting and organizing policies and procedures for submission.
- The Document Assessment Checklist and the referenced policies and procedures should be submitted to the secure cloud folder, provided, within 120 days of your receiving the assessment checklist.
- Your policies, procedures, and other supporting documentation are reviewed and you will receive a written report noting if any policies, procedures, or other supporting documentation are missing or require clarification. A conference call will be scheduled with you and your team to discuss the report and any questions as well as to plan for the on-site survey.
- You are eligible for on-site survey as soon as the documentation is complete, verified as meeting the program standards, and indicated by your surveyor.
3. Site Survey
a. Survey Date
- Your surveyor notifies you of survey readiness and your survey will occur within 6 weeks of this notification. The survey is unannounced. You may request dates to be avoided for the site survey. These requests must be submitted as early in the accreditation process as possible to be given consideration. When possible, these requested dates will be avoided; however, it cannot be guaranteed. (For multisite organizations, a headquarters site visit is scheduled followed by unannounced surveys at additional sites.)
- You will receive a general survey plan from your surveyor.
b. You are provided with guidance regarding the survey process.
- The surveyor will be a pharmacist and arrive at the pharmacy during normal business hours.
- Surveyors are sensitive to the business of the pharmacy practice, recognizing your need to take care of patients. Surveyors typically avoid Monday mornings and the day immediately before or after a holiday.
- The surveyor will physically review the overall pharmacy operation and patient care areas, review patient records for compliance with policies, procedures, and documentation, and observe counseling and patient care services being performed in the call centers. The surveyor will ask questions of the personnel concerning their duties and responsibilities all relating to adherence to policies and procedures and delivery of patient care.
- The surveyor will converse with you throughout the survey and at the close of the survey, provide a verbal report of your best practices, consultative suggestions, and any areas of non-compliance with the standards.
c. Following the survey of the pharmacy practice, you will receive a letter reiterating your best practices, consultative suggestions, and stating your site survey is complete or there are outstanding items to address for compliance with standards. Within 30 days of receipt of the survey letter and report, a written response with a plan of corrective action and timeline for any non-compliant standards is required.
d. When all outstanding items from the site survey are complete, your accreditation report is reviewed by the CPPA Accreditation Committee. The committee recommends your accreditation status to the CPPA Board of Directors.
e. You are notified of the accreditation decision in writing. When you achieve accreditation status, you will receive a formal accreditation letter and accreditation toolkit.
- A certificate of accreditation, a window cling seal of accreditation, digital files with the accreditation seal and guidelines for use of the seal
- Press release